03 Aug Halifax film screening picks — Aug 3-9
The Atlantic Film Festival Summer of SuperHeroes outdoor screening series continues this week with not one but two screenings: Tim Burton’s Batman (1989) at the Halifax waterfront on Friday, and Men in Black (1997), at Sullivan’s Pond in downtown Dartmouth on Saturday.
This Sunday a couple of local Cineplex screens will have a 20th anniversary screening of the gripping Apollo 13.
Speaking of spanning multiple decades, Oxford has welcomed in Mr. Holmes, which re-teams director Bill Condon with star Ian McKellen—making me nostalgic for my first viewing of Gods and Monsters, which I recall was also at the Oxford, some 16 years ago at least.
This Wednesday if you’re up for a South Shore road trip, the beautiful Astor Theatre in Liverpool has the brilliant Clouds of Sils Maria, which I cannot recommend highly enough.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for selected days this week:
- Tuesday (Aug 4) — Mr. Holmes, Cineplex Oxford, 7:00pm & 9:30pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Bill Condon, UK/USA, 2015, 104 minutes.
— Amy, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax, 1:10pm, 4:10pm, 7:10pm and 10:10pm; Cineplex Park Lane 9:10pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Asif Kapadia, UK, 2015, 128 minutes.
— What We Did On Our Holiday, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax (Bayers Lake), 1:10pm, 3:30pm, 5:50pm, 8:10pm,10:30pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Andy Hamilton & Guy Jenkin, UK, 2014, 95 minutes.
- Friday (Aug 7) — Batman, Tall Ships Quay, Halifax waterfront, 8:52pm, free, concessions & gates open at 7:52pm. Tim Burton, USA, 1989, 126 minutes.
- Saturday (Aug 8) — Men in Black, Sullivan’s Pond, Dartmouth, 8:52pm, free, concessions & gates open at 7:52pm. Barry Sonnenfeld, USA, 1997, 98 minutes.
- Sunday (Aug 9) — Apollo 13, Cineplex Oxford & Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing, 12:55pm, $6. Ron Howard, USA, 1995, 140 minutes.
And one South Shore screening pick this week:
- Wednesday (Aug 5) — Clouds of Sils Maria, Astor Theatre (59 Gorham Street, Liverpool), 7pm, $8. Olivier Assayas, Germany/France/Switzerland, 2014, 123 minutes.