31 Aug Halifax film screening picks — Aug 31-Sep 6
It may be thin gruel for special screenings in Halifax this week, but out of town, three different screening series are kicking off their fall seasons. King’s Theatre Film Society in Annapolis Royal has the Brian Wilson/Beach Boys biopic Love & Mercy (excellent performances all around the cast, with the strange exception of Paul Giamatti); Astor Theatre Cinema Series in Liverpool has the excellent Clouds of Sils Maria, rescheduled from August 5; Fundy Film Society in Wolfville has the Kickstarter-booted Blythe Danner vehicle I’ll See You in My Dreams.
The British World War I drama Testament of Youth has moved in at the Oxford.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Monday (Aug 31) — Jaws, Cineplex Park Lane, 9:25pm, $6. Steven Spielberg, USA, 1975, 124 minutes.
- Tuesday (Sep 1) — Testament of Youth, 6:30pm & 9:30pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). James Kent, UK, 2014, 129 minutes.
— The Diary of a Teenage Girl, Cineplex Park Lane, 9:10pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Marielle Heller, USA, 2015, 102 minutes.
— Mr. Holmes, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax, 12:55pm & 10:15pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Bill Condon, UK/USA, 2015, 104 minutes.
Here are my South Shore and Annapolis Valley screening picks for selected days this week:
- Tuesday (Sep 1) — Love & Mercy, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7:30pm, $8. Bill Pohlad, USA, 2014, 121 minutes.
- Wednesday (Sep 2) — Clouds of Sils Maria, Astor Theatre (59 Gorham Street, Liverpool), 7pm, $8. Olivier Assayas, Germany/France/Switzerland, 2014, 123 minutes.
- Sunday (Sep 6) — I’ll See You in My Dreams, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 8pm, $9. Brett Haley, USA, 2015, 92 minutes.