07 Aug Halifax film screening picks — August 7-13
North by Northwest is one of those rare films that I can’t see too many times—among Hitchcock’s films, there are others that I admire more as works of art, but none that are more purely enjoyable. Cineplex has Classic Films screenings this Sunday at Park Lane and Dartmouth Crossing.
Carbon Arc is still off season but is co-presenter/host this Saturday for the Iranian film I’m Not Angry!, “a strong, jittery social drama that captures the frustrations of Iran’s younger generation.”
A local film festival has its last outdoor screenings of the summer this Friday (Meatballs & Strange Brew at the Public Gardens) and Saturday (The Lego Batman Movie at the Dartmouth Crossing Pondside Amphitheatre).
- In theatres, seen and recommended:
- In theatres, notable:
- A Ghost Story, David Lowery, USA, 2017, 92 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan, UK/USA/France/Netherlands, 2017, 106 minutes  — Halifax showtimes: IMAX Digital
- Baby Driver, Edgar Wright, UK/USA, 2017, 113 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- The Beguiled, Sofia Coppola, USA, 2017, 94 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Maudie, Aisling Walsh, Ireland/Canada, 2016, 115 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Halifax screenings this week:
- Tuesday (Aug 8) — The Pajama Game, Central Library, 6:30pm, free, introduced by Nick Malbeuf. George Abbott & Stanley Donen, USA, 1957, 101 minutes.
- Wednesday (Aug 9) — Kiki’s Delivery Service (Japanese w English subtitles), Cineplex Park Lane, 7:10pm, $12.95. Hayao Miyazaki, Japan, 1989, 102 minutes.
- Friday (Aug 11) — Meatballs, Halifax Public Gardens, 8:30pm, free, please bring food donations for Feed NS. Ivan Reitman, Canada, 1979, 99 minutes.
— Strange Brew, Halifax Public Gardens, 10pm-ish, free, please bring food donations for Feed NS. Rick Moranis & Dave Thomas, Canada, 1983, 90 minutes.
- Saturday (Aug 12) — I’m Not Angry!, Carbon Arc Cinema @ the Museum of Natural History, 6pm, advance tickets $13. Reza Dormishian, Iran, 2014, 110 minutes.
— The Lego Batman Movie, Pondside Amphitheatre at Dartmouth Crossing, 8:30pm, free, please bring food donations for Feed NS. Chris McKay, USA/Denmark/Australia, 2017, 104 minutes.
- Sunday (Aug 13) — North by Northwest, Cineplex Park Lane & Dartmouth Crossing, 12:55pm, $6.99. Alfred Hitchcock, USA, 1959, 136 minutes.