Greetings on Blue Monday, the day which, we are informed on a thoroughly pseudoscientific basis, is the very nadir of seasonally-cyclical depression—a fact which is not without its film-related marketing opportunities. If film lovers are bummed right now it’s probably because both commercial theatres and screening series are in a bit of a lull right now.
Well, Carbon Arc and the Dal Art Gallery film series will be back soon—the latter with a second round of classic noir that looks even better than the first.
Monday at the Halifax Infirmary’s QEII Royal Bank Theatre, Novel Tech Ethics continues its current mini-series of screenings with panel discussions about Alzheimer’s and aging. This edition features the very highly regarded Spanish animated feature Wrinkles.
Out of town, in Wolfville, the Fundy Film Society has a Wednesday screening of Al Purdy Was Here, “a timely reminder of those golden pre-Harper years decades ago when culture played a key role in Canadian nation-building, and poets led the charge.” On Sunday, it’s Michelle Williams and Kristin Scott Thomas in Suite Française.
Cineplex Park Lane has a late Friday screening of The Raid: Redemption, the Indonesian action film that has gathered quite a cult and won over at least one prominent critic ever since it won the TIFF 2011 Midnight Madness audience award.
- In theatres, seen & recommended:
- Carol, John Crowley, UK/USA, 2015, 118 minutes — Halifax screening times
- Joy, David O. Russell, USA, 2015, 125 minutes — Halifax screening times
- The Hateful Eight, Quentin Tarantino, USA, 2015, 167 minutes — Halifax screening times
- Brooklyn, John Crowley, Ireland/UK/Canada, 2015, 112 minutes — Halifax screening times
- In theatres, watch-listed/notable:
- Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Monday (Jan 18) — Wrinkles, QEII Royal Bank Theatre – Halifax Infirmary, 1796 Summer St entrance, 7pm, free, panel discussion to follow. Ignacio Ferreras, Spain, 2011, 89 minutes.
- Wednesday (Jan 20) — Sabrina, Cineplex Park Lane & Dartmouth Crossing, 7pm, $6. Billy Wilder, USA, 1954, 113 minutes.
- Friday (Jan 22) — The Raid: Redemption, Cineplex Park Lane, 11:30pm, $6. Gareth Huw Evans, Indonesia/USA, 2011, 101 minutes.
- Annapolis Valley screening picks for this week:
- Wednesday (Jan 20) — Al Purdy Was Here, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 7pm, $9. Brian D. Johnson, Canada, 2015, 90 minutes.
- Sunday (Jan 24) — Suite Française, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 4pm & 7pm, $9. Saul Dibb, UK/France/Belgium, 2015, 107 minutes.