18 Jul Halifax film screening picks — July 18-24
Hunt for the Wilderpeople, the crowd-pleasing, critically acclaimed comedy-drama from New Zealand director Taika Waititi (following on festival favourite What We Do in the Shadows) has moved in at the Oxford. The NY Times’ Manohla Dargis says Waititi is “still finding his way, but he’s already a director who—as he does in a shot of a friendly, undefeated child pausing to wave at a pursuer—can distill a worldview into a single, perfect cinematic moment.” Meanwhile, Swiss Army Man has made way by moving over from the Oxford to Park Lane.
Whit Stillman’s Love & Friendship is back in Halifax at the Scotiabank Theatre in Bayers Lake.
The Atlantic Film Festival’s family-friendly summer outdoor screening series continues this Friday with the 2014 hit The Lego Movie.
- In theatres, seen & recommended:
- In theatres, new/notable:
- Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Wednesday (July 20) — A Place in the Sun, Cineplex Park Lane & Dartmouth Crossing, 7:00pm, $6.99. George Stevens, USA, 1951, 122 minutes.
- Friday (July 22) — The Lego Movie, Sullivan’s Pond, Dartmouth, 9:30ish, doors open at 8:30pm, free. Phil Lord & Christopher Miller, USA/Australia/Denmark, 2014, 100 minutes.