The Thrillema is back on Tuesday with the 1959 Vincent Price vehicle and certified classic, House on Haunted Hill—a film that failed to impress older viewers at its first preview screening, but found a “wildly enthusiastic” reception when screened instead for young people.
The First Features series of free Wednesday screenings at the Dal Art Gallery continues this week with Fruitvale Station, the unforgettable first teaming of actor Michael B. Jordan and director Ryan Coogler, who successfully re-teamed for Creed.
Fundy Cinema in Wolfville this Sunday has The Zookeeper’s Wife, the latest from Whale Rider director Niki Caro, who takes on a plot that you would think would be overdetermined by the likes of Schindler’s List, and instead delivers “a singular, thrilling portrait, filled with surprises and moving performances.”
- In theatres, notable:
- Halifax screenings this week:
- Monday (May 22) — Your Name (Japanese version w English subtitles), Cineplex Park Lane, 4pm, regular pricing. Makoto Shinkai, Japan, 2016, 107 minutes.
- Tuesday (May 23) — David Lynch: The Art Life, Cineplex Park Lane, 7pm, regular pricing. Jon Nguyen, Olivia Neergaard-Holm & Rick Barnes, USA, 2017, 90 minutes.
— House on Haunted Hill, The Thrillema @ Natural History Museum, 8pm, free tickets in advance and at the door. William Castle, USA, 1959, 75 minutes.
- Wednesday (May 24) — Fruitvale Station, Dalhousie Art Gallery, 8pm, free. Ryan Coogler, USA, 2013, 87 minutes.
- Annapolis Valley screenings this week:
- Tuesday (May 23) — The Red Turtle, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7:30pm, $10. Michaël Dudok de Wit, France/Belgium/Japan, 2016, 80 minutes.
- Friday (May 26) — Maudie, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7pm, $10. Aisling Walsh, Ireland/Canada, 2016, 115 minutes.
- Saturday (May 27) — Maudie, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7pm, $10. Aisling Walsh, Ireland/Canada, 2016, 115 minutes.
- Sunday (May 28) — Maudie, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 2pm & 7pm, $10. Aisling Walsh, Ireland/Canada, 2016, 115 minutes.
— The Zookeeper’s Wife, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 7pm, $9. Niki Caro, USA/UK, 2017, 126 minutes.