With Montage of Heck not scheduled to screen on HBO Canada at any time in the foreseeable future, the only legal way to see the Kurt Cobain documentary in this country is to go to a one-off theatre screening tonight at 7pm.
Cineplex has a number of other special event screenings this week as well, including a live Rifftrax commentary-screening of the love-to-hate-it indie The Room on Wednesday, as well as family-friendly screenings this weekend of The Wizard of Oz and Oklahoma!.
There are just 3 weeks left in the Dal Art Gallery noir series and this week’s selection is noteworthy for being in colour and directed by the Canadian-born Allan Dwan—Slightly Scarlet, with John Payne, Rhonda Fleming, and Arlene Dahl.
The Mayworks Halifax festival continues this week with an AFCOOP-presented showcase of short films—Reel Justice.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for selected days this week:
- Monday (May 4) — Montage of Heck, Cineplex Park Lane & Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing, 7pm, regular pricing. Brett Morgen, USA, 2015, 132 minutes.
- Tuesday (May 5) — While We’re Young, Cineplex Oxford, 6:45pm & 9:15pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). The highly-regarded latest feature from Noah Baumbach stars Ben Stiller and Naomi Watts. USA, 2014, 97 minutes.
- Wednesday (May 6) — Reel Justice (Mayworks Halifax Festival short films presented by AFCOOP), Halifax Central Library, 6:30pm, free. 11 films, 94 minutes total running time, details here.
— Slightly Scarlet, Dalhousie Art Gallery, 8pm, free. Allan Dwan, USA, 1956, 99 minutes.
— Rifftrax Live: The Room, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax, 9pm, regular pricing. The MST3K guys give the treatment (one time broadcast via satellite) to ” the most baffling and hilarious independent film ever produced.” 120 minutes, info and trailer here.
- Saturday (May 9) — The Wizard of Oz, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax & Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing & Cineplex Lower Sackville, 11am, $2.99. Victor Fleming, USA, 1939, 101 minutes.
- Sunday (May 10) — Oklahoma!, Cineplex Oxford & Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing, 12:55pm, $6. Fred Zinnemann, USA, 1955, 145 minutes.