16 Nov Halifax film screening picks — Nov 16-22
With the Jewish Film Festival done and Carbon Arc on hiatus until the new year it’s fair to say that film pickings are rather more slim this week. However, there are a few notables this week starting with the first local screening since the Atlantic Film Festival of the Naomi Klein documentary This Changes Everything, directed by her husband Avi Lewis. That’s being screening on Monday at the Central Library by the Radical Imagination Project.
A festival crowd favourite, the widely praised—though not uncontroversial—novel adaptation Room has moved in at the Oxford, and although I do have some reservations about the film I do recommend it, on balance—and of course encourage people to see it and make up their own minds about it.
On Tuesday there’s a one-off screening at Cineplex Park Lane of the Japanese anime The Anthem of the Heart, which is the latest from the creative team behind 2013’s Anohana Movie. If that’s your niche then here’s a rare opportunity.
Dal Art Gallery continues its Wednesday sci-fi series this week with the 1980 nugget Altered States, and I think I’m breaking some kind of rule by saying this but Friday and Saturday, Cineplex Park Lane will have late-night screenings of Fight Club.
If you missed the recent Carbon Arc screening, on Sunday in Wolfville the Fundy Film Society has Court.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Monday (Nov 16) — This Changes Everything, Halifax Central Library, 6:30pm, free, presented by the Radical Imagination Project, followed by a panel discussion w Catherine Abreu, Catherine Martin, Kiki Wood. Avi Lewis, Canada/USA, 2015, 89 minutes.
- Tuesday (Nov 17) — Room, Cineplex Oxford, 3 6:30pm & 9:15pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Lenny Abrahamson, 2015, USA, 118 minutes.
— The Anthem of the Heart (Kokoro ga sakebitagatterunda), Cineplex Park Lane, 9:25pm, $6.99. Tatsuyuki Nagai, Japan, 2015, 120 minutes.
- Wednesday (Nov 18) — Altered States, Dalhousie Art Gallery, 8pm, free. Ken Russell, USA, 1980, 102 minutes.
- Friday (Nov 20) — Fight Club, Cineplex Park Lane, 11:30pm, $6. David Fincher, USA/Germany, 1999, 139 minutes.
- Saturday (Nov 21) — Fight Club, Cineplex Park Lane, 11:30pm, $6. David Fincher, USA/Germany, 1999, 139 minutes.
Here is my Annapolis Valley pick for this week:
- Sunday (Nov 22) — Court, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 4pm & 7pm, $9. Chaitanya Tamhane, India, 2014, 116 minutes.