Decent film picks are few and far between this week with Carbon Arc and the Dal Art Gallery both on breaks this week. There are recent Bollywood and Japanese anime productions screening this week, but scanning the reviews I don’t think I can recommend either. However Monday does offer one last chance to catch Rita Hayworth, Frank Sinatra, and Kim Novak on the big screen (Park Lane, Dartmouth Crossing) in a Cineplex Classic Film Series screening of Pal Joey.
The best bets this week are out-of-town screenings: 99 Homes (with the ever-intense Michael Shannon) in Annapolis Royal on Tuesday, Lily Tomlin in Grandma at the Astor in Liverpool on Wednesday, and the highly-regarded Canadian coming-of-ager Wet Bum in Wolfville on Sunday.
This weekend’s late-night screener at Cineplex Park Lane is Spaceballs. May the schwartz be with you.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Monday (Nov 23) — Pal Joey, Cineplex Park Lane & Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing, 7pm, $6. George Sidney, USA, 1957, 109 minutes.
- Tuesday (Nov 24) — Room, Cineplex Oxford, 3 6:30pm & 9:15pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Lenny Abrahamson, 2015, USA, 118 minutes.
- Friday (Nov 27) — Spaceballs, Cineplex Park Lane, 11:30pm, $6. Mel Brooks, USA, 1987, 96 minutes.
- Saturday (Nov 28) — Spaceballs, Cineplex Park Lane, 11:30pm, $6. Mel Brooks, USA, 1987, 96 minutes.
Here are my Annapolis Valley and South Shore screening picks for selected days this week:
- Tuesday (Nov 24) — 99 Homes, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7:30pm, $8. Ramin Bahrani, 2014, USA, 112 minutes.
- Wednesday (Nov 25) — Grandma, Astor Theatre (59 Gorham Street, Liverpool), 7pm, $8. Paul Weitz, 2015, USA, 78 minutes.
- Sunday (Nov 29) — Wet Bum, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 4pm & 7pm, $9. Lindsay MacKay, 2014, Canada, 98 minutes.