14 Sep Halifax film screening picks — Sep 14-20 (inc. Atlantic Film Festival pt. 1)
It’s festival time, kids! As usual, the Atlantic Film Festival schedule tends to be front-loaded with Atlantic/Canadian stuff while backloading global cinema, a.k.a what I’m interested in, so most of my top picks are playing next week, but I’ve sprinkled some AFF choices into this week’s picks.
It so happens that The End of the Tour, starring Jason Segel as David Foster Wallace, has also arrived in town, so I’m making it my top cheap-night Tuesday pick this week.
The Radical Imagination Project returns this week as well, with the 1993 documentary milestone Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance, screening at the central library on Monday evening.
Out of town, the highlight of the schedule is the Finnish social satire The Grump, playing this Sunday in Wolfville. The Astor in Liverpool has Amy, the Winehouse documentary, on Wednesday.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Monday (Sep 14) — Kanehsatake: 270 Years of Resistance, Halifax Central Library, 7pm, free, presented by the Radical Imagination Project. Alanis Obomsawin, Canada, 1993, 119 minutes.
- Tuesday (Sep 15) — The End of the Tour, Scotiabank Theatre Halifax (Cineplex Bayers Lake), 1:30pm, 4:00pm, 6:50pm & 9:30pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). James Ponsoldt, USA, 2015, 106 minutes.
— Mistress America, Cineplex Oxford, 7pm & 9:10pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Noam Baumback, USA, 2015, 86 minutes.
— Testament of Youth, Cineplex Park Lane, 3:35pm, 6:25pm & 9:20pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). James Kent, UK, 2014, 129 minutes.
- Friday (Sep 18) — Experimenter, Cineplex Park Lane, 3:45pm, AFF: tickets. Michael Almereyda, USA, 2015, 90 minutes.
- Saturday (Sep 19) — Welcome to this House: A Film on Elizabeth Bishop, Cineplex Park Lane, 1:00pm, AFF: tickets. Barbara Hammer, USA, 2014, 79 minutes.
— Into the Forest, Cineplex Park Lane, 7:00pm, AFF gala: tickets. Patricia Rozema, Canada, 2015, 101 minutes.
- Sunday (Sep 20) — Victoria, Cineplex Park Lane, 12:30pm, AFF: tickets. Sebastian Schipper, Germany, 2015, 140 minutes.
— One Floor Below, Cineplex Park Lane, 3:30pm, AFF: tickets. Radu Muntean, Romania/France/Sweden/Germany, 2015, 93 minutes.
— Room, Cineplex Park Lane, 9:30pm, AFF: tickets. Lenny Abrahamson, Ireland/Canada, 2015, 118 minutes.
Here are my Annapolis Valley and South Shore screening picks for selected days this week:
- Tuesday (Sep 15) — A Brilliant Young Mind (a.k.a. X+Y), King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7:30pm, $8. Morgan Matthews, UK, 2014, 111 minutes.
- Wednesday (Sep 16) — Amy, Astor Theatre (59 Gorham Street, Liverpool), 7pm, $8. Asif Kapadia, 2015, UK, 128 minutes.
- Sunday (Sep 20) — The Grump, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 8pm, $9. Dome Karukoski, Finland, 2014, 104 minutes.