07 Sep Halifax film screening picks — Sep 7-13
Cineplex has a couple of free screenings of Rear Window at Dartmouth Crossing coming up in its Classic Film Series—in a break from form, the tickets are free (instead of the usual modest six bucks), but the catch is that you have to pick up tickets at the box office in person.
The new Noah Baumbach Mistress America has moved in at the Oxford, displacing British World War I drama Testament of Youth, now screening at Park Lane.
Fundy Film Society has three screenings this week, most notably this Sunday: Maya Forbes’ directorial debut Infinitely Polar Bear, starring Mark Ruffalo. The King’s Theatre Society in Annapolis Royal has What We Did On Our Holiday on Tuesday.
Here are my Halifax area screening picks for this week:
- Tuesday (Sep 8) — Mistress America, Cineplex Oxford, 7pm & 9:10pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). Noam Baumback, USA, 2015, 86 minutes.
— Testament of Youth, Cineplex Park Lane, 3:35pm, 6:25pm & 9:20pm, regular pricing discounted Tuesday, film continues through Thursday (at least). James Kent, UK, 2014, 129 minutes.
- Sunday (Sep 13) — Rear Window, Cineplex Dartmouth Crossing, 12:55pm, free tickets available at box office only. Alfred Hitchcock, USA, 1954, 115 minutes.
Here are my Annapolis Valley screening picks for selected days this week:
- Monday (Sep 7) — I’ll See You in My Dreams, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 8pm, $9. Brett Haley, USA, 2015, 92 minutes.
- Tuesday (Sep 8) — What We Did on Our Holiday, King’s Theatre (209 St. George St., Annapolis Royal), 7:30pm, $8. Andy Hamilton & Guy Jenkin, UK, 2014, 95 minutes.
- Wednesday (Sep 9) — Everyday Rebellion, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 8pm, $9. Arash T. Riahi & Arman T. Riahi, Austria/Switzerland/Germany/Greece/Belgium, 2014, 112 minutes.
- Sunday (Sep 13) — Infinitely Polar Bear, Acadia Cinema’s Al Whittle Theatre (450 Main Street, Wolfville), 8pm, $9. Maya Forbes, USA, 2014, 90 minutes.