04 Sep Halifax screening picks — September 4-10
The impending closing of the Oxford Theatre is a terrible loss to film lovers, a knife to the heart, as Carsten Knox puts it. While Wolfville, Liverpool, and Annapolis Royal, to name a few Nova Scotia towns, still have well-used historic theatres as cinematic venues, Halifax can’t seem to manage it, and if it can, it hasn’t been given a chance.
Today, local Cineplex theatres are turning Labour Day Monday into Miyazaki Monday, with screenings of My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki’s Delivery Service, and Castle in the Sky—check the Monday listings for Cineplex Park Lane, Dartmouth Crossing, and Lower Sackville.
On Tuesday at the Central Library, the Featured Director series of free screenings of Stanley Donen classics continues with Zack Miller introducing On the Town, the film that opened the door to location-based musicals.
Close Encounters of the Third Kind is back in a sparkling restored 40th anniversary edition, while the film can be restored, its cultural moment is very much history. And speaking of culture and history, Yiddish cinema is back, and now is your opportunity to catch “a rare example of Yiddish neorealism” on local screens in Menashe.
- In theatres, seen and recommended:
- In theatres, notable:
- Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Steven Spielberg, USA, 1977, 135 minutes — Halifax showtimes
- Menashe, Joshua Z. Weinstein, USA, 2017, 81 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- The Trip to Spain, Michael Winterbottom, UK, 2017, 108 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Terminator 2: Judgment Day 3D, James Cameron, USA, 1991, 137 minutes — Halifax showtimes
- Logan Lucky, Steven Soderbergh, USA, 2017, 119 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Dunkirk, Christopher Nolan, UK/USA/France/Netherlands, 2017, 106 minutes  — Halifax showtimes: IMAX Digital
- Baby Driver, Edgar Wright, UK/USA, 2017, 113 minutes  — Halifax showtimes
- Halifax screenings this week:
- Tuesday (Sep 5) — On The Town, Central Library, 6:30pm, free, introduced by Zack Miller. Gene Kelly & Stanley Donen, USA, 1949, 98 minutes.